Tuesday 22 June 2010

Things I have learnt in the past week.

I was diagnosed at a very young age, which means I can't remember a lot of what I was treated with etc when I was younger. However, I've been asking a lot of questions over the past week or so, and here's what I've learnt.

1) when I was first diagnosed, we had the kind of blood glucose testing kit in which you'd apply a drop of blood and then wipe it off 2 minutes later. I have no memory of this, whatsoever.

2) there's at least 1 other type 1 in my close family; my mum's cousin was diagnosed when he was about 12. My mum is also convinced his daughter is type 1, although my nan isn't so sure. We're not in touch with that side of the family, but I'm going to try and change that.

3) in some ways I had forgotten the times of 'feeding your insulin' (particularly when you're on 2 x daily injections), until I was reminded of having to have snacks mid morning and before bed to stop me going hypo.

4) a particularly horrible hypo I had aged around 4 or 5, in the night. I remember being in bed and being really sweaty and just...yucky. I remember my parents coming in and out of my room to check on me. I think I had lucozade tablets at the time.

5) when I was first diagnosed, my parents needed to know the symptoms of a hypo. So the doctors made me go low on purpose - I suppose you could say it was for educational reasons, but still!

I'm going to get as much information out of my parents as possible. I'd love to compile it all together someday; not a book or anything, but just for my own reference.

1 comments:

Smile4Loubie said...

I'd love to read them Shiv. Being diagnosed at 15 and already having a twin sister who was diabetic our experiences are very different. x