Tuesday 4 May 2010

A trip to the dentist.

Today I went to the dentist (short version: I have a cavity and some very sensitive teeth, need to go back next week for a filling).

I need to explain that right now I'm in a pretty low mood, and I'm feeling the weight of things. So: what got me today was the way diabetes manages to come up at EVERY opportunity. I filled in the medical form at the dentists, handed it in, waited to be called through.

The dentist was very nice, but asked me a question that made me want to tear my hair out: "what are your blood sugar level readings normally?" cue me having to bite my tongue and tell her that my average is 7.4%. I realise that she was just trying to do her job and that being a dentist doesn't exactly mean that she has to be knowledgeable about the disease, but if it's going to affect my treatment (she followed up with 'we don't treat people with levels over 13' - what, hba1c of 13 or a bg reading of 13? I was like 15 at that point due to miscalculating my lunch), I'd appreciate that she asks the right questions!

Normally? Seriously? What are my sugar levels like NORMALLY? Well, it depends on the day. It depends what I've eaten that day, it depends on the time of the day, it depends if I'm ill or stressed or if I've exercised in the last 24 hours. It depends on if I'm planning on exercising later in the day, or if I'm going to eat something in a few minutes. It depends if I've drunk alcohol in the last 24 hours. It depends how my body is feeling! It depends on the time of year, the temperature...it depends on everything, and every day I have to make calculations according to all these factors.

Please excuse my unnecessary rage over this...it just got to me :(

2 comments:

Smile4Loubie said...

I got asked this today by the doc @ the clinic!! I wish even they would understand its a daily thing that changes daily/hourly on what we eat/do/hormones etc etc grrrr xx

Anonymous said...

That is the weirdest thing ever.

I don't know what else to say, except that I feel your pain. :)