Monday 31 May 2010

Why I have a love/hate relationship with eating out

Yesterday and today I went to see my grandparents/auntunclecousins, with my mum. Had a lovely time relaxing and spending time with them. Until...we went out to eat.

It was a small American-style restaurant. Buddies, to be precised. No carb info, so I had to guesstimate. I wanted to inject some time before we ate, so whilst we were waiting to be seated, I planned what to order (triple-decker BLT with fries) and then eyed up everything coming out of the kitchen doors until I saw a sandwich coming out, so I could try and line up the carbs and the insulin. The sandwiches were 3 slices of bread and the chips were just a standard bowlful. Eyeing it up, I guesstimated 60g carbs for the sandwich and 50g for the chips. On a 1u:7g, that worked out at 15u. I split it 10/5 over 2 hours (10 up front, 5 2 hours later). So 10u at 2pm, 5 at 4pm.

6pm, and I'm feeling rough. I knew I was high - but part of me was putting off testing (I hate getting the carb guess wrong). Anyway - it was 15.3. Bleugh. 2 glasses of squash and 4u of Novorapid later and we left Northampton. I'm now (7:20pm) at 9.9.

My thoughts: chips were far fattier than I predicted, thus a slower release? Ah, learning curve. I seem to be having a lot of those.

Good part of the day: I bought a new handbag! I had some vouchers left over from a while ago, so I headed into New Look and purchased a really nice handbag.

(I have an interview tomorrow, my first interview in almost 2 years. It's nothing glamorous - a care assistant in an old people's home - but it's full time hours and a literal 5 minute walk from the house. It would be great if I got it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!)

5 comments:

Northerner said...

Good luck with the interview Shiv! Meals out throw me every time :(

Bec said...

Wow, your insulin : carb ratio sounds really complicated but I guess thats cus I'm still injecting rather than using a pump (I'm using 2.5 units : 10g CHO at the moment). Think I'm going to have to invest in a new calculator for when I get my pump!! Lol.
Good luck with the interview!! :o)

Siobhan said...

Bec - I'm on MDI too. Your ratio would be 1u:4g! I'm on 1u:5g for breakfast, 1u:7g for lunch and 1u:10g for tea. That gets tweaked as and when necessary!!

Bec said...

Ooooohhh, why did i think u were on a pump!! Lol!! At the moment Im just doing 2.5 units for 10g for every meal. Seeing my dietician for the 2nd time on 23rd june so going to have to go into it in a bit more detail i think. i basically had an hours appointment with her and was let loose o im a bit unsure about it all still to be honest!!!

Siobhan said...

Sounds like you're doing well though!! You should join the forums over at www.diabetessupport.co.uk then if you've got any questions about ANYTHING, there's a whole haggle of people waiting to answer your question!